Created: May 5, 2006
Updated: Aug 19, 2009
SVN Updated: May 29, 2009
Other project properties
Development status: Stable
Additional info: Design done , FPGA proven
WishBone Compliant: No
The T400 µController is an implementation of National's 4-bit COP400 microcontroller family architecture. It is intended to be used as a replacement for the original chip in SOCs recreating legacy systems.
Its final target is to provide design variants that are compatible with the COP420/421 and COP410L/411L family members. All of them derived from the common t400_core design. Such a sample system has been implemented in several FPGA families.
- COP421-like features
- 64 bytes internal RAM
- 1024 bytes internal ROM (only small part used for program)
- 4 MHz required performance
The implementation has been done with the free version of the vendor tools (Quartus II 7.2sp3 and ISE 10.1). Your mileage may vary.
- 583 / 12060 Logic Elements
- 8,448 / 239,616 Memory Bits (RAM & ROM implemented in memory block)
- 59 MHz maximum registered performance
Xilinx Spartan-IIE XC2S300EPQ208-6:
- 643 / 6144 Logic Cells
- 2 / 16 Block RAMs (RAM & ROM implemented in memory block)
- 60 MHz maximum registered performance
The T400 µController has been successfully integrated in the FPGA Adventure Vision project.
The following tools are integrated and are required for this project:
- The Macro Assembler AS
- The GHDL simulator
- The Perl scripting language
The project has Stable status:
- All of the targeted functionality is implemented in synthesizable VHDL.
- Verification suite is available containing self-checking assembler patterns for all implemented instructions.
- All instructions implemented and verified with black-box tests.
- Toplevel system designs resembling COP420, COP421, COP410L and COP411L are available and verified with regression test suite.
- Proven synthesizability for different FPGA families.
- Stable interfaces for internal modules.
Known bugs will be logged on the Tracker page . Please feel free to enter any problems you encounter with this core.
The COPS Family User's Guide and the specific datasheets can be downloaded from DatasheetArchive .
The latest release of the T400 µController project is version 1.1.
Get this and all previous versions of the design files from SVN: Download repository .
Please keep in mind that trunk/ is work in progress and might contain smaller or bigger problems.
You should also check the Tracker for known bugs and see if they affect your work.